Monday, September 3, 2012

Misty Morning At Deer Creek


For some reason, I woke up at 4:50 AM...no alarm, just awake.  Hmmm...wonder if its still raining.  Looked out the window and everything was wet but no rain.  Wonder what the weather is supposed to be like.  Weather dot com says cool but clear.  Well, we're just coming out of a storm and the moon's been full and temperature's been all over the place...I should go back to sleep.  But then again, maybe I'll hook on the boat and just see what happens.

Launched at Deer Creek at about 7:15.  Misty water.  Calm.  Power squad must still be sleeping off the thunder from yesterday.  Shhhh....

Started out throwing a spinner bait and on about my fourth cast...Boom!  Largie!  And  he clears a foot of water and dives back down.  Fighter!  :)  Already I'm glad I didn't go back to sleep.
It starts warming up and some of the fog rolls off the water and up the hills.  I catch a few more largemouth in the 1-2 pound range and a couple of smallmouth around a pound.  The water's glass and the leave's are turning.  Just me and a hand full of other fishing boats.  Wow!  Tranquility on Deer Creek in the middle of Labor Day weekend.  Who would've guessed?

It starts warming up and the buzzers slowly emerge from their slumber to resume their relentless and thankless duties oxygenating the lake...But the bass still want to play.

Finally, around noon I headed back to the dock.  No lines!  I was off the water and on my way home in record time.  In all I caught about 15 bass.  None bigger than about 1.5 lbs - most under 1.  Mostly on spinner baits, topwater and plastics.  Tried some deeper water tactics with no luck.

Water temperature was 67-70.  Ambient temperature was about 52 when I arrived and probably close to 70 when I left.

Overall, it was the kind of Sunday morning that makes you feel like you're getting away with something - or being given something special for no good reason other than you were the lucky guy at the right place at the right time.

Catching fish, surrounded by majestic Utah beauty at its finest.  Memories like these sustain me.  I'll file this one in my 'Open in case of February' folder.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...yep. Just broke this open. Ahhh, that's a bit better. I really need to blog more. And fish more. Time to get out on the ice and then do some writing.

    ReplyDelete